Novak Djokovic confirmed that he skipped an Australian Open interview in response to Tony Jones’ remarks.
Darren Cahill had his say after Novak Djokovic boycotted his on-court interview (Image: ESPN / Getty)
Jannik Sinner’s coach Darren Cahill has spoken out after Novak Djokovic skipped an on-court interview at the Australian Open.
The world No. 7 did not complete his usual post-match chat after winning his fourth-round match on Sunday and later explained that he was boycotting his courtside interviews in response to “insulting and offensive comments” made by Tony Jones, a presenter working with host broadcaster Channel 9.
Cahill, who hails from Australia and also works in the media, picked his side and explained who Jones was for the international audience.
Djokovic attended his post-match press conference at usual and started things by explaining why he did not want to give a regular on-court interview.
“Couple days ago the famous sports journalist who works for official broadcaster, Channel 9 here in Australia, made a mockery of Serbian fans and also made insulting and offensive comments towards me,” he said.
Novak Djokovic did not complete his post-match interview on the court (Image: Getty)
“And since then, he chose not to issue any public apology. Neither did Channel 9. So since they’re official broadcasters, I chose not to give interviews for Channel 9.”
On Friday night, Jones appeared on a live broadcast in front of a group of Djokovic fans who were waving Serbian flags and cheering. “Novak, he’s overrated. Novak’s a has-been. Novak, kick him out,” he sang.
Djokovic clarified that he had no issues with the Australian fans, with on-court interview Jim Courier, or with tournament director Craig Tiley. He also confirmed he would continue his stance until he received an apology and said he was happy to be fined if needed.
Cahill has now spoken out after hearing Djokovic’s reasoning, admitting that the 24-time Major winner was well within his right to take offence and act on it.
Sinner’s coach is working as a pundit for American station ESPN and, as an Australian, he provided some context as to who Jones is. “Tony Jones, he works in 9 News here in Melbourne,” he started.
“And he hosts a footy show also which is quite a funny, laughing, break-down football show for Australian rules football which is very popular here. He’s been in the industry for years and years.”
Although he thought Jones’ comments were made in jest, Cahill continued: “I’m sure Tony was trying to to be funny but it was inappropriate and I don’t blame Novak for taking offense to that.”
James Blake, a former world No. 4 who is in charge of the Miami Open, admitted it “made sense” for Djokovic to “stand on his principles” before Cahill brought up the Serb’s past experiences Down Under.
Djokovic was detained and ultimately deported from Australia on the eve of the tournament in 2022 when he arrived without the then-mandatory Covid vaccine.
He had a medical exemption but the Immigration Minister at the time used his powers to revoke Djokovic’s visa. The world No. 7 has since revealed he still has “trauma” following the ordeal.
And Cahill added: “Especially what Novak went through, through the Covid year back hereas well. Considering how badly he was treated by the Australian government here and then sent home without being able to play.
“I think that Novak was well within his rights to ask for an apology and perfectly makes sense now what he did on the court.”
News
Emma Raducanu accepts Qatar Open wildcard as Brit seeks to end losing streak
Emma Raducanu has accepted a late wildcard to play the Qatar Open in Doha. Emma Raducanu has lost all of her last three matches (Image: Getty) Emma Raducanu has accepted a late wildcard to play next week’s Qatar Masters as she bids…
Emma Raducanu’s schedule unclear after losing three matches in a row
Emma Raducanu’s schedule is up in the air following her Abu Dhabi Open exit. Emma Raducanu’s schedule is uncertain following her Abi Dhabu defeat (Image: Getty) Emma Raducanu’s upcoming WTA Tour schedule remains up in the air. The Brit has lost her last…
Daniil Medvedev involved in very tense moment with rival after body hit
Daniil Medvedev was involved in an uneasy flashpoint at the Rotterdam Open. Daniil Medvedev flashed a stern look at Mattia Bellucci at the end of the point (Image: TENNIS TV) Daniil Medvedev flashed a steely look at Mattia Bellucci after the Italian…
Tennis star Danielle Collins shades critics with latest ‘kiss my a–‘ video in Bahamas
Danielle Collins has made good on her promise to rub Australia’s face in it. The former Australian Open finalist was booed off court after her third round defeat to eventual champion Madison Keys after the Melbourne crowd turned on her. The hot-headed…
Tennis fans stunned after Zizou Bergs tackled Cristian Garin during Davis Cup — and still won: ‘Shocking decision’
The Davis Cup tie between Belgium and Chile descended into chaos after a Belgian player won his match despite shoulder-charging his opponent, who pleaded for the match to be stopped. Belgium edged Chile 3-1 in the first round of Davis…
Carlos Alcaraz concedes to Jannik Sinner as Spaniard makes ‘crazy’ admission
Carlos Alcaraz has made where he stands on Jannik Sinner clear. Carlos Alcaraz has hailed Jannik Sinner. (Image: TENNIS TV) Carlos Alcaraz has conceded that Jannik Sinner is currently on another level than him and every other player on the ATP…
End of content
No more pages to load